Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 6 - golf driving, and also more regular driving.

This morning we slept in. And by "slept in," I mean Trevor and I slept until 10 a.m., while Dennis and Nate got up at 5:30 to go golfing at a nearby course. They were in withdrawal, since it had been a whole week since they last hit the links. (I don't know why I use phrases like that when I don't really understand what they mean.) They had a good morning, and were most happy with their rental clubs, which were brand-new TaylorMade RocketBallz. I don't know what that means either, but they seemed to.

Before getting back on the road, we had one oddball stop to make in San Luis Obispo, at Bubble Gum Alley. Totally disgusting. Totally fun. But mostly disgusting. We rummaged up some gum from the car, so we could contribute too.

My favorite moment from the gum alley... (background info first) We've been each trying to find unique places to photograph the letters in our names, or shapes that resemble the letters, so we can print and frame them later. (Tip of the hat to Sarah Haines for that idea.) So anyway, we're looking at these gag-inducing walls of nastiness when Dennis yells, "YES! I finally found a good 'S'!" Some people haven't been satisfied to squoosh their blobs of gum on the walls; they've spelled things with their stretched-out Bubblicious. Oh, it's quite a sight.

Back on Highway 1, we were headed up the coast again. This is such a gorgeous, dramatic drive. But how did the girl who doesn't like heights end up behind the wheel for a drive along seaside cliffs?? I'm glad we were driving north so I could be on the inside lane, hugging the hills instead of grazing the guardrails. I had butterflies in my stomach most of the time. 


Eventually we were driving through Carmel, and Dennis & Nate wanted to sneak a peek at Pebble Beach Golf Course. We got close enough to see it across the bay, but that turned into wanting to move in for a closer look. Which turned into deciding to go ahead and visit the pro shop. Which turned into looking at the 1st hole. And also the 18th hole. And shopping for souvenirs. I'm surprised they're not still there, playing in the sand bunkers.  



We tried geocache hunting in a few places today, but couldn't find the first two we searched for. Finally, success on the third attempt. 1 for 3 on the day, not our best. 

Here's something I did find. A falafel sandwich on the menu at a Subway outside of San José! Score! I'm moving here. They'll never bring falafel to Subway menus in Iowa. 

We always seem to arrive at our destination city late in the day, and it was no different tonight, rolling into San Francisco after sundown. Good part, we got to see the new lights on the Bay Bridge (impressive!), but everything else can wait until tomorrow. 

Today's mileage (our final driving day!): 285. Total mileage: 2565.

Good night from Fisherman's Wharf, City by the Bay, sea level. 
more or less. 
ok, probably not less.

No comments:

Post a Comment